Disney’s Bambi, which celebrates its 75th anniversary this year, joins the Walt Disney Signature Collection on Blu-ray™, DVD and On-Demand on June 6. Bambi was the fifth animation produced by the Walt Disney and directed by David Hand and was released in theaters on August 13, 1942. The animated drama is based on the book called Bambi, A Life in the Woods by the Austrian author Felix Salten, and tells us the story of a young deer growing up in the forest with his mother and friends But after his mother was killed by hunters, Bambi happens to live alone in the forest.
The discs includes a variety of new bonus material, including recordings of Walt Disney discussing the challenges and triumphs during the production of “Bambi;” deleted scenes and characters; stories and effects that Bambi had on the Studio, other films and artists; and much, much more.
Additionally, the Digital HD release includes an exclusive, heartfelt feature on the incredible artist, Tyrus Wong, who inspired the film’s soft watercolor backgrounds and beautiful palette. Bambi arrived on Digital HD, Disney Movies Anywhere since May 23rd.
This collection includes groundbreaking films created or inspired by the imagination and legacy of Walt Disney, one of the great visionaries of the 20th century. This summer, Bambi will take its place in the collection alongside three other great achievements in storytelling, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Beauty and the Beast and Pinocchio.
As I mentioned, Bambi was released in 1942 during World War II and took over five years to make due to its exquisite hand-drawn artwork and attention to detail. Beloved by generations, Bambi holds the third spot on the American Film Institute’s “10 Top 10,” honoring the 10 greatest animated films of all time. The timeless tale features an adorable young deer named Bambi who explores the wonders and challenges of the woods with his playful pal Thumper, the lovable skunk Flower, and wise Friend Owl – and ultimately fulfills his destiny as prince of the forest.
BONUS MATERIAL (BLU-RAY & DIGITAL* HD) INCLUDES:
- THE BAMBI EFFECT – “Bambi” was full of innovations for its time. Let’s take a look at how those past innovations affected future Disney animated titles all the way up to today.
- STUDIO STORIES: “BAMBI” – Recordings of Walt Disney. Listen in on intimate moments where he discusses the challenges, pitfalls and triumphs during the production of “Bambi.”
- DELETED SCENE: BAMBI’S ICE AND SNOW – Bambi coaxes Thumper and his brothers and sisters to come play on the ice during the first snow.
- DELETED SCENE: THE GRASSHOPPER – A grasshopper confronts Bambi and Thumper and finds himself in quite a predicament.
- BAMBI FAWN FACTS – Think you know everything there is to know about Bambi and his forest companions? Well, it’s time to discover some fun real-life facts about the creatures that live in the forest he calls home.
- OSWALD THE LUCKY RABBIT: “AFRICA BEFORE DARK” – Oswald Short.
- CELEBRATING TYRUS WONG (DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE) – A heartfelt look at the man who played a key role in the success of “Bambi.” Much like Mary Blair and Eyvind Earle, Tyrus Wong had a unique signature style all to his own. The soft water-colored backgrounds and beautiful palettes in “Bambi” were inspired by Tyrus’ concept art paintings.CLASSIC:
· DELETED SCENES – Two Leaves, Bambi Stuck on a Reed, Winter Grass, Twitterpated
· THE MAKING OF BAMBI: A PRINCE IS BORN
. STORY: TELLING THE TALE
. CHARACTERS: DRAWN TO NATURE
. ACTORS: GIVING VOICE TO ANIMALS
. ART DESIGN: IMPRESSIONS OF THE FOREST
. MUSIC: NATURE’S SYMPHONY
. HISTORY: BACK TO THE BEGINNING
· TRICK OF THE TRADE (Excerpt)
· INSIDE THE DISNEY ARCHIVES
· THE OLD MILL: ANIMATED SHORT
· ORIGINAL THEATRICAL TRAILER
· THE GOLDEN AGE
Categories: Animation, Blu-ray™ & DVD
1 reply »